The Po Boy--the traditional Louisiana Sandwich of lightly fried shrimp or other seafood, lettuce and tomato--is restyled here with grilled, sustainable shrimp and a sweet-and-sharp radicchio slaw. It's a flavorful "Sunday Supper" before Memorial Day. The Sunday dinner table is outside near the grill and the mood is festive. Try this healthy, heaven-on-a-hot-dog-bun sandwich for one of your summer cookouts.
Grilled Shrimp Po-Boy with Radicchio Slaw (Serves 4)
4 dozen medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails off
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
3 tablespoons smoked paprika
4 hot dog potato rolls (or standard hot-dog buns)
1 1/2 pounds radicchio, chopped
1 cup Italian-style salad dressing
2 teaspoons aged balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons golden raisins
generous pinch of salt
1/2 pint yellow cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Rinse shrimp and pat dry. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and smoked paprika on shrimp.
- Grill shrimp for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side (use a grill insert for easier grilling of shrimp)
- Set shrimp aside.
- Place chopped radicchio in a large bowl
- Add salad dressing, balsamic vinegar, and raisins. Mix throughly.
- Add salt and taste. Adjust salt to taste, if needed.
- Add cherry tomatoes and mix lightly to preserve the shape of the sliced tomatoes.
Assembling the Po-Boys
- Place each hot-dog bun face down on the grill until warm and showing grill marks.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons (approximately) of slaw into each open bun.
- Add one-dozen shrimp to each Po-Boy and serve.
Want more recipe ideas for Memorial Day? Click on the link below for a list of bloggers from the #SundaySupper group: