|Shrimp Ceviche and Avocado Sliders|
Whatever you'll have sizzling on the grill this July 4th, your family and guests might need something to nosh on while they wait for the main meal. How about shrimp brightened with fresh lime juice along with creamy deviled eggs with smoky shavings of salmon? The kids at the cookout will love these shrimp ceviche sliders (the shrimp is cooked) and will keep coming back for those deviled eggs with the bright pop of salmon.
Both dishes are quick to prepare, because the messy work has already been done. I purchased a package of frozen, pre-cooked shrimp and a tray of plain (ungarnished) deviled eggs from the supermarket deli. From there, all I needed to do was to chop up the shrimp and add olive oil, lime and seasonings. For the eggs, I had only to add smoked salmon and a garnish of dill. Think of these recipes the next time you are having a summer get-together and are short on time--but still insist on full flavor.
|Chopped shrimp, avocado, lime and seasonings|
|Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) Certified Salmon|
|Dried dill weed and salmon cut into strips and rolled.|
Recipe: Shrimp Ceviche and Avocado Sliders (Serves 6-8)
14-ounce package ready-to-use cooked shrimp, small
Zest of 1 lime
2 fresh limes, juiced
1 large scallion, chopped (white and green parts)
1 medium jalapeno pepper, chopped (seeds and ribs removed)
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/4 teaspoon white miso paste
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon, dried tarragon
1 avocado, sliced in chunks
1 package whole-wheat potato rolls, pre-split
1 bunch red tango lettuce (rinsed and dried)
- Thaw shrimp according to package directions. Drain shrimp; spread on paper towels on top of a clean cutting board or large plate. Gently pat shrimp dry. Remove paper towels and place shrimp on cutting board reserved for seafood or meat. Chop shrimp roughly then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add zest of one lime to the shrimp, followed by the fresh-squeezed lime juice. Add onion, jalapeno pepper, salt, pepper, and miso paste. Add olive oil and tarragon. Blend ingredients thoroughly.
- Refrigerate shrimp ceviche until ready to serve. Right before serving, add the avocado chunks and stir gently.
- Spoon ceviche into potato rolls and top with lettuce.
Recipe: Deviled Eggs with Smoked Salmon (Serves 6-8)
1 tray of deli-prepared deviled eggs (24-30 egg halves)
4 ounces sliced, smoked salmon
2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- Slice smoked salmon into 2-inch long and 1/2 wide strips.
- Roll strips of salmon and place one on top of each deviled egg half.
- Sprinkle each egg half with dill weed.
I'm not the only one thinking of and creating recipes for July 4th. Click on the links below to see recipes by fellow bloggers from the #SundaySupper group. Enjoy!
Fabulous Pairings by Martin from ENOFYLZ