Lentils. The petite legume with enormous taste and creaminess makes a quick-cooking, satisfying chili. You can make this spicy, richly flavored chili in under an hour.
Recipe: Lentil Chili
1 1/2 cup brown lentils, picked through and rinsed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 14.5-ounce can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Petite Diced Tomatoes with Adobo Seasoning
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon chipotle pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- Add lentils and 3 cups cold water to a 3-quart pot.
- Add olive oil, chopped red onion and garlic.
- Cook lentils on medium-low heat, with lid on, until soft (approximately 20 minutes).
- Check lentils at 10-minute intervals and stir to avoid them sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- After 20 minutes, remove lid and add can of tomatoes, pepper flakes, chipotle pepper, and chili powder.
- Turn heat to low and allow lentils to cook until they appear creamy.
- Stir in salt and adjust to taste.
- Serve warm with rice or cornbread--or on its own.