For this recipe I used Maryland back fin blue crab meat, which has a sweet pronounced crab flavor. It's perfect for tacos and for Mexican dishes in general. Making the sauce had me nervous. Crab and cheese don't have a natural affinity for one another. However, at the supermarket I happened upon queso fresco (a soft, mild un-aged cheese), and had a hunch that it would be mild enough to let the crab do the singing in the dish.
|Creamy Queso Fresco Sauce with Edible Calendula Blossom|
Queso Chipotle Sauce with Blue Crab
1 small onion, minced
4 ounces queso fresco (fresh Mexican cheese)
1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk (or cow's milk)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/4 teaspoon dried, ground chipotle pepper
1/4 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
8 ounces back fin blue crab meat (set aside and refrigerate 4 teaspoons of crab)
Dried edible flowers (such as calendula), or fresh cilantro for garnishing
- Add minced onion, queso fresco, milk, into blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add spices, lime juice, and blend again.
- Refrigerate sauce for 20 minutes.
- Add 6 ounces of crab meat to a glass bowl.
- Pour cool sauce over crab and mix very gently to avoid breaking up the crab meat. Refrigerate the sauced crab meat.
|Mix Crab Meat Gently with Sauce|
6 ounces of the blue crab with sauce
1 large avocado, cubed
2 large tomatos, cubed
1 head organic bib lettuce, washed and spun dry
9 ounces white corn tortillas (soft)
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
4 teaspoons crab (the crab set aside without sauce)
Assembling the Tacos
- Stack tortillas on a microwavable plate and cover loosely cover with plastic wrap or a microwave cover. Heat at 75% power for one minute.
- Place two tortillas per person on taco holders or on plates.
- Place one leaf of bib lettuce on each tortilla shell.
- Spoon on the tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro, and crab with sauce (about one heaping teaspoon of crab with sauce for each taco.
- Top each taco with 1/2 teaspoon of the reserved crab meat.
- Spoon the remaining sauce into ramekins and garnish with an edible flower or a small sprig of cilantro.
Sopas (soups), Ensaladas (salads), and Entremeses (starters)
- Chicken Tortilla Soup - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Mexican Paint Soup - Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Jalapeño Popper Dip - Chocolate Moosey
- Vegan Tortilla Soup - Galactosemia in PDX
- Texas Caviar - Ruffles and Truffles
- Cheese-Stuffed Jalapeños w/ a Tequila Sunrise - Mama's Blissful Bites
- Mini Taco Salads - Big Bear's Wife
- Mexican 7 Layer Dip & Chips - The Daily Dish Recipes
- Stoplight Salsa Reisipe - Family Foodie
- Tortilla Soup with Roasted Vegetables - Diabetic Foodie
- Tamales - A Family Tradition - Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Fiesta in La Boca Enchiladas (Chicken & White Bean Enchiladas w/ Salsa Verde) - The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Enmoladas (Chicken Mole Enchiladas) - The Meltaways
- Gluten-Free Chicken Spinach Artichoke Enchiladas for #SundaySupper - Cooking Underwriter
- Mexican Fiesta for #SundaySupper: Chipotle Chicken & 3 Bean Quesadillas w/ Wasabi Guacamole and Mango Salsa - Chattering Kitchen
- Quick and Easy Fiesta Rice - Granny's Down Home Southern Cooking
- Carnitas - My Catholic Kitchen
- Tamale Pie - Noshing with the Nolands
- Eggs Motuleños - The Meltaways
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Black Bean and Corn Salsa - Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Carne Asada - Magnolia Days
- Carnitas Avocado Pizza with Chipotle Avocado Mayonnaise Drizzle - Damn Delicious
- Frijoles Charros (Cowboy Beans) - La Cocina de Leslie
- Puerco Pibil - girlichef
- BLT Quesadillas with Avocado Mayo - Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Chile Rellenos with Roasted Tomato Sauce - Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Tamales with Green Chili Sauce - Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Beef and Vegetable Enchiladas - Hezzi D's Books and Cooks
- Chicken Con Queso - Momma's Meals
- Baked Flautas - Home Cooking Memories
- Chunky Aztec Chocolate Granola - What Smells So Good?
- Street Tacos Al Pastor - Sustainable Dad
- Shrimp Tacos - Pippi's in the Kitchen Again
- Chiles Rellenos with Ranchero Sauce - The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Zippy Chipotle Shrimp & Mango Tostadas - Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Pork Tacos - Tora's Real Food
- Chicken Fajitas - Cravings of a Lunatic
- Blue Crab Tacos - Pescetarian Journal
- Huevos Rancheros - Comfy Cuisine
- Chocolate Cinnamon Flan - Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Caramel Apple Enchiladas for a Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper - In the Kitchen with KP
- Chilli Chocolate Truffles - Happy Baking Days
- Horchata Ice Cream & Churro Brownies - Kwistin's Favorites
- Empanadas - In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maureen
- Plantain Fritters - From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Fried Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas - The Watering Mouth
- Beer Margaritas - That Skinny Chick can bake
- Hatch Chile Margarita - Shockingly Delicious
- Skinny & Spicy Watermelon Margaritas - I Run for Wine
- Refreshing Kiwi Lime Margarita - Mama Mommy Mom