I love my greens. Collards, kale, turnips, dandelion--you name it--and I'm constantly looking for ways for greens to star in other dishes without losing their inherent soulfulness. Here, I filled egg roll wraps with kale and collards along with carrots and tofu. I fried them (frying is something that I rarely do) and served them with a sweet-chili Thai sauce. The sinful pleasure of the crispy, fried crust, followed by lush, seasoned greens along with carrots and tofu equals one devine vegan egg roll.
(Organic Vegetables Used)
1/2 medium leek (white part only), minced
2 green onion (white and green parts), minced
2 tablespoons canola or grape seed oil (for sauteing)
1/4 pound kale, chopped finely
1/4 pound collards, chopped finely
1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
5 ounces carrots, shredded (I bought pre-shredded carrots)
4 ounces extra firm tofu, diced in 1/4-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice seasoning
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
Salt to taste (if desired)
1 16-ounce package egg roll wraps (from the supermarket's refrigerated section)
3/4 cup canola or grape seed oil (for frying)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a 9-quart stockpot (minimum size) on medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute them until translucent.
- Add kale and collards and saute until the greens wilt.
- Pour in vegetable broth and cover pan; simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add carrots and diced tofu.
- Stir in Chinese 5-spice seasoning, rice vinegar, soy sauce. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Taste vegetables and add additional salt if desired.
- Remove from heat and allow vegetables and tofu to cool until they can be handled.
- Use large cutting board or clean countertop to spread several egg roll wraps. Each wrap should be placed in a diamond shape before rolling (see photos above).
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of vegetables and tofu in the middle of the egg roll wrap.
- Fold over the end of the wrap that points toward you. Ensure that the ingredients are snugly folded in the egg wrap.
- Fold over each end neatly and roll the egg roll forward toward the remaining flap. If necessary, wet your fingers with some of the vegetable broth to make sure the remaining flap sticks.
- Heat the oil over high heat and fry egg rolls two at a time until they are brown and crispy. Drain egg rolls on paper towels before serving.