Alaska Smoked Salmon, Celery and Apple Salad #SundaySupper

www.pescetarianjournal.com
Someone in the #SundaySupper blogger’s group had a sparkling idea: why not share dishes and recipes inspired by a movie? I instantly thought of the movie Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, in which a wealthy sheik dreamed of bringing salmon fishing to his desert town to inspire and engage his people. The rest is an against-the-current love story between the sheik’s representative (Emily Blount) and a top fisheries scientist (Ewan McGregor).
But I fell in love with this movie the moment that the farmed salmon in the sheik’s stretch of desert-turned river reversed direction and started swimming upstream–just like wild salmon. It was a triumph for the characters and, perhaps, an indication of what’s possible in reclaiming or building salmon runs to replace the ones that have vanished.
www.pescetarianjournal.com
This Alaska Smoked Salmon, Celery and Apple Salad is cooling for warm weather and takes only 30 minutes (or less if you have a mandolin) to put together. With prepared, smoked salmon and a few veggie and herb staples, this salad will star at any meal.
Recipe: Alaska Smoked Salmon, Celery and Apple Salad (Serves 8)

Recipe adapted from Jerry Traunfeld‘s recipe featured in the Wild Alaska Seafood cookbook.

2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 cups thinly sliced celery
2 crisp unpeeled apples, cored and fine-diced (I sliced the apples thinly on a mandolin instead)
1-1/2 cups Italian (flat leaf) parsley leaves
1/4 cup chopped dill
Freshly ground black pepper
8  ounces hot smoked Alaska salmon, skinned and flaked

Whisk together the mustard, vinegar, and olive oil. Toss the celery, apples, parsley, and dill. Season with a good grinding black pepper. Right before serving, toss with the smoked salmon.

www.pescetarianjournal.com

Please visit the sites of fellow #SundaySupper bloggers to see their foodie-inspired movie picks and recipes. Later, at 7 p.m., EDT, join us for a Twitter chat about food and movies. Use the hashtag #SundaySupper. See our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for amazing photos and recipe inspiration.

OTHER MOVIE-INSPIRED RECIPES

Toast (bready things)

No Reservations (soups and salads)

Today’s Special (fish, chicken, beef, and pork)

Forks Over Knives (veggie-heavy dishes and sides)

Udon (pasta and noodles)

Just Desserts (sweet treats)

Bottle Shock (beverages)

Latest posts by Alaiyo Kiasi-Barnes (see all)

Comments

1. says

Oh man, Alaiyo – you’ve hooked me with this one. HOOKED! I really enjoyed that movie (and yes, I’m a baby and got a few tears in my eyes at that part…sheesh). Plus, hot-smoked salmon is one of my favorite foods on earth, so this salad is SO getting made. Soon!

2. says

What a wonderful dish, it looks so appetizing!

I have heard about the movie, it’s a newer movie which was nominated too wasn’t it? I think so I should check it out again and watch it once. =)

3. says

I struggle getting my husband to eat salad (vegetables in general) but he loves salmon – this might work! I have heard of this movie but haven’t watched it. Will have to add it to the queue.

4. says

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen was one of my favorite movies. My dad even liked it. I also love wild Alaskan salmon – I never eat farmed fish. This seems like a great and healthy dinner!

5. says

I’ve never seen Salmon Fishing in Yemen and always wanted to. I’m definitely going to look for it again. You salad looks fantastic. I love salads with fruit in them..it’s that sweet/savory thing that I love!

6. says

What a beautiful salad… love the interesting flavor combinations- yum! And thanks for the reminder about that movie… I need to rent it ASAP! ;-)

7. says

Have you ever experienced a salmon run? They are amazing! Wave after wave of thousands upon thousands of salmon coming in from the sea and making their way up the streams, while otters, sea lions, eagles, grizzlies, and humans fish and gather. Going to Valdez and salmon fishing last summer was one of my all-time favorite adventures here in Alaska. It was truly awesome.

8. says

I had never heard of that movie, Alaiyo, until I was on a flight last year and it was one of the movies offered. I loved it! Since I didn’t have any expectations (and the flight was loooong) I found it most amusing and I loved the interaction between the characters and the philosophy of the sheikh.

Your salad looks delicious and I especially like the thinly sliced apples. (I am just reading back and your instructions say to dice the apples, but those are apple slices in the photo, right?) Anyway, it’s just beautiful!

• says

Hi Stacy and thanks for pointing out he inconsistency between the recipe and my photographs. I loved the recipe and since I had permission to use it, I didn’t want to alter it in any way. I had just purchased my first mandolin and like the idea of the sliver-thin apples; however, I should have made noted this somewhere after the recipe. I’ll go back and rectify this. Thanks for your comment.

• says

I completely understand! And I think the apple slices are an improvement so they should change THEIR recipe. :) Either way, a tasty, beautiful dish!