|Chili & Lime Oven-Fried Green Tomatoes|
Recipe: Chili & Lime Oven-Fried Green Tomatoes (Serves 4-5)
(A Gluten-Free Recipe)
1 8-ounce bag “Garden of Eatin’” Chili & Lime Tortilla Chips (crushed in a food processor or with a mortar and pestle)
3 large eggs, beaten
3 large green tomatoes, sliced 1-inch thick
1 teaspoon dill weed, dried
1 large jalapeno pepper (seeds and ribs removed), minced
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
1 large lime, sliced in half
- Set out three medium or large bowls: one for the sliced tomatoes, one for the beaten egg, and another for the crushed corn chips.
- Place the tomato slices in the first bowl; pour beaten egg into the second bowl, and pour the crushed chips into the third bowl. Place bowls in the order previously described.
- Add jalapeno pepper into the egg bowl and mix to distribute ingredient. Add salt, pepper, and dill weed to the crushed corn chips and mix thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees Farenheit. Cover two 15×10-inch baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using tongs or your fingers, place three slices of green tomato into the egg mixture. Cover tomato on both sides with egg and spices. Transfer each tomato slice to the crushed chips and cover both sides of the tomato. Place coated tomatoes on baking sheets, 1/2 inch apart.
- Repeat the process of coating each tomato slice with egg and the flavored crushed chips.
- Place oven rack in the middle of the oven; place trays of tomatoes into oven. Bake for 15 minutes on one side; turn tomatoes over after 15 minutes and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. Tomatoes should be golden brown when you remove them from the oven.
- Serve hot with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.