- Put cornmeal into a large bowl and add water. With a silicon spatula–or with your hands–mix the cornmeal and water just enough so that ingredients begin to feel firm and moist. Add more water, one tablespoon at a time, if the dough is too dry. Incorporate a bit more cornmeal, one tablespoon at a time, if the dough seems too moist.
- Divide dough into a dozen balls. Place dough between your hands and roll the dough until each ball is relatively smooth (see photo above). Place balls of dough on a clean cutting board and cover them with a clean, damp (not wet) dish cloth.
- Pre-heat 10- to 12-inch, cast iron skillet over high heat (turn on the stove’s exhaust).
- Cover upper and lower plates of a tortillas press with plastic wrap or enclose each half of the press with plastic storage bags. Lightly spray each side of the plastic-wrapped tortilla press with non-stick cooking spray. Place balls, one at a time, into the press and flatten.
- Gently remove the flattened tortilla dough from the press and place into a very hot skillet. Using a cookie spatula (or a thin silicon spatula), flip the tortilla over after 20-30 seconds and heat the other side for 20-30 seconds. Flip the tortilla again and 15 seconds and remove. Place cooked tortillas into a tortilla warmer or on a plate covered by a clean, dry towel to keep tortillas pliable and warm.
New Expeditions (Sides, Starters & Staples)
Homemade Corn Tortillas from Pescetarian Journal
Easy Oven Polenta from Shockingly Delicious
Homemade Spiced Flour Tortillas from Chocolate Moosey
Naan from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Homemade Tofu from Kimchi MOM
Savory Mushroom & Herb Steel-Cut Oat Risotto from Foxes Love Lemons
Indian Moong Beans from Magnolia Days
Baked Lemon Coconut Risotto from Soni’s Food
Homemade Peanut Butter from Home Cooking Memories
Homemade Ricotta Cheese from Webicurean
Portuguese Chorizo Bread from Family Foodie
Grand Quests (Main Dishes)
Traditional Pork Tamales from Gourmet Drizzles
Braised Lamb Brisket with Lemon Oregano Yogurt Sauce from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Rice Burger from The Urban Mrs.
Pan-fried Scallops with Garlic Chili Linguine from Food Lust People Love
Miso-Glazed Salmon from The Foodie Patootie
Penne with Mustard and Chives from My Other City By The Bay
Arepas Rellenas (Stuffed Arepas) from The Wimpy Vegetarian
Spanish Baked Scallops from Momma’s Meals
Black Beans and Cheese Empanadas from Basic N Delicious
Pork Dim Sum from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Venison Steak Gyros from Curious Cuisiniere
Baked Tilapia with Parmesan Basil Sauce from Growing Up Gabel
Vegetarian Hortobagyi Pancakes from Happy Baking Days
Caribou & Andouille Chili from The Foodie Army Wife
Escapades (Sweet Treats & Spirited Companions)
Vegan Chocolate Mousse from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Zebra Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Multilayer Bars from What Smells So Good?
Meatball Grinders & How to Grind Meat from Cravings of a Lunatic
Rut-Busting Wines For New Cooking Adventures from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Homemade Vanilla Marshmallows from Vintage Kitchen
Strawberry Raspberry Fruit Leather from Juanita’s Cocina
Making Macarons – FAIL! from girlichef
Macaroons from Noshing With The Nolands
Fresh Strawberry Frozen Yogurt from The Messy Baker
Bircher Muesli from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Hello Kitty Rice Krispies from The Ninja Baker
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls from In The Kitchen With KP
Dorie Greenspan’s Orange Almond Tart from Hip Foodie Mom
Ombre Mini Cakes from Daily Dish Recipes
Chocolate Dipped Madeleines from Big Bear’s Wife
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, April 28, 2013 to talk all about our foodie fears! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your Tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.