Real men love ranch eggs. Huevos Rancheros Casserole: spicy, cheesy, and a cinch to make, is my husband’s idea of “man food.” Full of protein and lycopene (good for men’s health), Huevos Rancheros Casserole is a patchwork of homemade tomato salsa, cheddar, Monterey Jack, and Asadero cheeses, and eggs. It’s a one-pot wonder. Alongside the Huevos Rancheros Casserole, pile pan-toasted corn tortillas and serve confidently. No one, especially the hearty eaters, will leave the table unsatisfied. Today, my fellow #SundaySupper bloggers and I are focusing on “man food,” which is food that men, in particular, enjoy. There are scores of recipes below that were created with manly appetites in mind (including several recipes that include beer).
Huevos Rancheros Casserole for Any Meal
Not just for breakfast, Huevos Rancheros Casserole is great to serve anytime of day and with minimal ingredients. Two cans of fire roasted tomatoes, diced onion and green pepper, a few spices, oil, eggs, and corn tortillas are all that’s needed. Garnish with cilantro or parsley. The salsa can be made a day ahead. Simmer the salsa and add eggs right before mealtime. Make batches of salsa to freeze–if you’re organized–and thaw it for quick meals. Remember to add the eggs.
Everyone needs a fast, inexpensive go-to meal. Make Huevos Rancheros Casserole one of the recipes that you reserve for quick meals and most robust appetites. Remember the tortillas!
For more “manly” meal ideas, visit the list of blogs below and join us for the fun later today as we meet at 7 p.m. ET for a Twitter chat.
- 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 close garlic, smashed
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if you can take the heat)
- 2 17-ounce cans fire-roasted, diced tomatoes
- 6-7 large eggs
- ¾ cup Mexican blend cheese
- Cilantro or parsley sprigs (for garnish)
- 6-12 corn tortillas
- non-stick pan spray
- Heat oil to medium in large skillet, saute onions, peppers, and garlic until transleucent.
- Add spices in the order shown in the recipe. (I used only a pinch of salt, because the canned tomatoes have salt added.)
- Turn heat to low and simmer tomatoes and spices for 20-25 minutes on low heat. Spray another skillet with non-stick cooking spray and toast corn tortillas over medium heat until they brown (about 3 minutes on each side). Turn tortillas warm in oven until time to serve.
- Crack 6-7 eggs, one at a time, into a ramekin. Gently pour each egg into sauce.
- For sunny-side-up eggs, do not cover the pot. For well-done eggs, cover the pot and simmer until eggs set to desired doneness. Sprinkle cheese over the dish while its hot.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley and serve over warmed tortillas.
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.