It’s the night before the first day of school. I’ve shopped for school supplies and clothes at the last possible minute. I’ve made bagged lunchs and I’ve ironed my son’s first-day outfit. I get all this accomplished ahead of time only one school night a year–and this is the night. The rest of the school year will be morning chaos as usual. One thing I don’t worry about, though, is the back-to-school dinner.
I always have a bag of Oregon shrimp in my freezer for fun-and-filling meals. Pink Oregon bay shrimp are wild caught along the Oregon Coast and are a “Best Choice” seafood for sustainability according to Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch. These salad-sized shrimp are cleaned, pre-cooked, and perfect for quick lunches, dinners, and snacks.
So this week, I–along with my fellow bloggers from the #SundaySupper group–am offering quick and easy back-to-school dinner recipes for your family. Consider this and other recipes for this month and throughout the school year whenever you’re feeling rushed to get dinner in front of the family–or yourself.
After you check out my recipe, spend some time checking out the other talented food bloggers who have contributed to this week’s #Back-to-School #SundaySupper (see hyperlinked list below), and join us at 7 p.m. ET for the #SundaySupper Twitter chat.
Recipe: Oregon Shrimp Quesadillas (Serves 4)
1 pound of Oregon Shrimp (gently thawed in the refrigerator for 24 hours)
16 corn or whole wheat tortillas
8 ounces Longhorn Colby cheese (organic, if possible) cut into cubes
4 ounces parmesan cheese (organic, if possible) grated
1 small chili, minced whole
1 teaspoon olive oil
- Place shrimp between layers of paper towels in order to absorb excess water.
- Lay 8 tortillas flat on a large cutting board or baking sheet.
- Spoon shrimp in a single layer on each tortilla, including the edges.
- Cover shrimp with both cheeses and spoon a small amount of the fresh chili on top of the cheese.
- Place another tortilla on top of each tortilla and the shrimp and cheese.
- Heat a grill pan or skillet on medium-high heat. Carefully place one or two unheated quesadillas at a time on the grill pan.
- Cover quesadillas with a cast-iron press or cover quesadillas with foil and place a 28-ounce can of tomatoes or beans on top of quesadillas to flatten them.
- Repeat the process until all quesadillas have been grilled.
More Great Ideas from These Bloggers:
- Greek Dogs by Supper For a Steal
- Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad by Magnolia Days
- Double Duty Fajita Chicken: Nachos Supreme and Enchiladas by Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Zucchini, Corn and Bacon Crepes by Vintage Kitchen
- Oregon Shrimp Quesadillas by Pescetarian Journal
- Korean Omelet Rice by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Dillled Salmon Croquette Burgers by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Gluten Free Pepper Steak with Rice by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Crispy Ravioli in Cherry Tomato Sauce by Shockingly Delicious
- BLT Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Korean Pan-Fried Fish by Kimchi Mom
- Stove-top Mac ‘n Cheese by Gotta Get Baked
- Deconstructed Enchiladas by In the Kitchen with KP
- Croque Monsieurs by Juanita’s Cocina
- Summer Squash and Mushroom Quesadillas by Chocolate Moosey
- Seared Lamb on a Bed of Mashed Potatoes with Artichoke Hearts by Cooking Underwriter
- Pasta with Creamy Kale Pesto by Webicurean
- Baked Spanish Tortilla by Happy Baking Days
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Pizza by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Whole Wheat Pasta with Swiss Chard and White Beans by The Lemon Bowl
- Tomato Pie by My Catholic Kitchen
- Shredded Chicken in Peanut Sauce Tacos w/ Corn & Zucchini Sauté by GirliChef
- Tomatillo Chicken Stew by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Pollo a la Crema by La Cocina de Leslie
- Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos by Home Cooking Memories
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken with a Yogurt Dill sauce and a Greek Salad by Noshing with the Nolands
- Wagon Wheel Pasta with Pancetta & Peas by Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Lemon & Dill Shrimp Pasta w/ Oven Roast Corn by Mama, Mommy, Mom
- Ricotta – Tofu Tomato Toasts by Yummy Smells
- One Pot Spicy Asian Chicken and Rice by Hezzi D
- Turkey Italian Brown Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Flatbread Pizza with Cilantro Garlic Sauce by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Kung Pao Shrimp by Mangoes and Chutney
- Cashew Chicken Stir-fry by Diabetic Foodie
- Chicken Bacon Avocado Quesadillas by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Roasted Butternut Lo Mein by The Meltaways
- Potluck Casserole with Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Jerk Chicken Chili by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Loaded Chicken and Steak Stuffed Potatoes by Big Bears Wife
- Steamed Tofu Serve with Fried Mix Vegetables by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Pasta with sausage and cherry tomatoes by Tora’s Real Food
- Chicken Ravioli with Peas and Bacon by Daddy Knows Less
- Chorizo Tomato Pasta with a Creamy Sauce by Avocado Pesto
- Quick N Easy Thai Coconut Shrimp Stir Fry by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Whole Wheat Pizza with Hummus & Fresh Greens by Family Spice
- Speedy ‘n Spicy Shrimp Pasta by The Weekend Gourmet
- End of Summer Grilled Peach and Chicken Salad by Sustainable Dad
- Teriyaki Tuna Bowl by Family Foodie
- Weeknight Stir Fry by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Baked Egg with Mushrooms and Bacon by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Taco Bake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Fried Rice and Black Beans by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Chicken with Broccoli, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Bow Ties by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pasta in Tomato sauce and turkey meatballs by Basic & Delicious
- Pasta Primavera by Midlife Road Trip
- Tots Your Tots Will Love by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle