Other Meal Ideas
- Make the salad as directed in the recipe, then place ingredients on flatbread for a crunchy, meaty lunch.
- Add steamed rice to the bottom of tacos, top with salad and two or three pan-fried spelt for a delicious fish taco.
- Make a smelt salad po-boy by adding the ingredients in submarine sandwich bread and top with salad dressing.
Among your list of salad recipes to try for the spring season, add this Pan-Fried Smelt Salad to your must-try list. What are your favorite salads that include fish?
- ½ pound cleaned rainbow smelt, thawed
- 1 cup gluten-free seasoned fish fry mix (or 1 cup rice flour, 1 tsp each of salt, pepper, and paprika)
- ½ cup light olive oil
- 1 10-ounce package organic salad greens
- Place smelt in a large bowl and rinse with cold water. Drain water directly down drain to avoid cross contamination. Lay smelt on a cutting board used only for seafood and/or meats. Dry fish with paper towels.
- Pour fish fry mix in a large, clean bowl or mix your own mix (as outlined in the ingredients). Put fish in fish fry mix and cover thoroughly on both sides.
- Heat olive in shallow frying pan until oil shimmers, indicating that it is hot. Add fish, one at a time, taking care not to crowd the pan. Fry fish on both sides for two-three minutes each. As you remove fish from frying pan, place them on a paper-towel-lined plate. To keep the fish crispy, place fish on a wire cooling rack placed over a plate or sheet pan.
- Rinse and spin the salad greens. Divide greens onto two place and top with pan fried smelt. Add your favorite salad dressing and enjoy.