In my home, Shrimp Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are fiercely popular as a weekday supper entree. Monday is usually the day that I will reach into the freezer for a bag of pre-cleaned and deveined shrimp. In the refrigerator, there is red wax gouda cheese, crusty whole wheat bread, and salad fixings. With this recipe, dinner is on the table in 30 minutes or less.
There are more than 4.5 million monthly Google searches for “fast weekday dinners.” Chances are, you can use the information in this post or in one of the other posts written this week by fellow #WeekdaySupper bloggers. This month, the #WeekdaySupper theme is “It’s a Wrap.” We’re highlighting sandwiches, wraps, tacos, ravioli, and food that is stuffed. You’ll also find all ingredients for #Weekday posts readily available at local supermarkets, and meals should be ready to eat in 30 minutes or less. If you enjoy shrimp and crave grilled cheese sandwiches, then you’re going to love this recipe.
- Butter flavored non-stick vegetable spray
- 1 pound shrimp, thawed, pre-cleaned, peeled and deveined (check the frozen food section)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- ½ pound red wax gouda (or sharp cheddar), pre-sliced at the deli counter
- Cracked white pepper
- Spray a grill pan with the butter-flavored vegetable spray
- Heat the pan to medium heat and add ½ of the shrimp.
- Grill shrimp on each side for 1½ minutes or shrimp is pink and beings to curl slightly. Grill remaining shrimp. Allow shrimp to cool enough to handle with fingers. Slice each shrimp in half, following the post-devein indentation along the back of the shrimp.
- In a saute pan, add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil and heat to medium. Saute onion until soft. Turn heat to low and simmer until onions begin to brown. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Brush avocado oil on one side of each bread slice. Place bread slices, oil side down, in hot grill pan or skillet (medium heat). Depending on your skillet size, you may need to prepare the bread in batches. Flip each piece of bread, add a slice of cheese and spoonful of onion.
- Add enough shrimp halves to cover four of the eight bread slices. Top the bread slice with the heated side of another slice of bread and press lightly until cheese melts.
- Serve sandwiches with a salad or lightly steamed vegetable.
For more fast weekday supper meals, save the Google searching and click on the links below to check out my fellow bloggers’ fast and fine recipes. Check out the #WeekdaySupper Pinterest Board for more inspiration.
Monday: Shrimp Grilled Cheese Sandwiches by Pescetarian Journal
Tuesday: Tuna with Rice by Basic N Delicious
Wednesday: Vegetarian Wet Burritos by Shockingly Delicious
Thursday: Asian Lettuce Wraps by Noshing with The Nolands
Friday: Crispy Chicken Tortilla Rollups by The Weekend Gourmet