I’m on a grilling high this summer. My latest recipe: Skinny Grilled Eggplant Parmesan. Rather than fry slices of eggplant–which is not exactly healthy–I put the slices on the grill. How is this “Skinny” Grilled Eggplant Parmesan? Well, because it’s made with cornflake crumbs, which absorb less oil (that means fewer calories). Polenta works just as well for making Skinny Grilled Eggplant Parmesan. The key is to make the dish less “bready” (hence, the cornflake crumbs) and to avoid frying. Parmesan Cheese is added, of course, but I use Low-fat cheese, and I use less. All the flavor that you love in Grilled Eggplant Parmesan still exists in my Skinny Grilled Eggplant Parmesan, but without the guilt!
Making Skinny Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
- 3 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced
- Sea salt (for drawing liquid from eggplant)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1 box gluten-free cornflake or cracker crumbs
- Salt-free Italian seasoning
- 1 family-sized jar Marinara sauce (24-26 ounces)
- 16 ounces reduced fat parmesan cheese
- 3 ounces reduced fat parmesan cheese topping
- Non-stick vegetable spray
- Set a rice strainer over a bowl. Place 1 layer eggplant slices in rice strainer. Cover eggplant generously with sea salt. Place another layer of eggplant slices on top of the salted slices and continue layering and salting the eggplant. (This step will help prevent soggy eggplant and will draw the slightly bitter liquid from the eggplant slices before grilling.)
- Allow the salt to do its work for 45 minutes.
- Lift strainer from bowl and thoroughly rinse eggplant slices under cold runner water.
- Remove eggplant from straine and place on clean towel. Fold towel over eggplant slices and press to dry.
- Place eggplant slices on a large cookie sheet and brush both sides of eggplant with olive oil.
- Heat outdoor grill or a stove-top grill pan to medium-high heat. Grill eggplant slices for 2 minutes per side. Set eggplant aside.
- Cover the bottom and sides of a large baking dish with vegetable spray. Set baking dish aside.
- Add eggwhite to medium bowl.
- Pour cornflake or cracker crumbs in a medium mixing bowl or on small cookie sheet. Place bowl or sheet next to the bowl containing eggwhites.
- Dip eggplant slices in eggwhites then coat both sides of eggplant slices with cornflake or cracker crumbs.
- Place two tablespoons of Marinara sauce on the bottom of the baking dish and spread it around. Line the bottom of the dish with grilled eggplant. Sprinkle eggplant slices with Italian seasoning. Cover with two tablespoons of sauce followed by a sprinkling of low-fat parmesan cheese.
- Repeat until all eggplant is used. Top with sauce and a sprinkling of cheese and the parmesan cheese topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Allow Skinny Grilled Eggplant Parmesan to settle for 5 minutes before serving.
* Note: I did not receive a product or payment from a company for mentioning products in this post.